Laser Treatment for Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can be effectively treated with LASER. In this procedure, a Laser light, which is a highly focused beam of light is directed at the inner lining of the vein with extreme precision. No cuts are used in this procedure. The heat from the laser closes and shrinks the varicose vein, which seals off the vein. It does not affect the surrounding tissue. Hospital stay is minimal for this procedure and the patient can go home in a day. Combined Foam Sclerotherapy treatment is used to treat spider veins or tiny varicose veins.
Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT)
Using Endovenous Laser Treatment larger varicose veins in the legs can be treated. The vein is monitored on a duplex ultrasound screen and a laser fiber is passed through a catheter into the vein.
A small prick is made in the vein for the catheter to be inserted into the vein. Fluid with medication is injected around the vein to keep the surrounding tissue cool and safe. The laser will heat up the length of the vein and eventually the vein will shrink and close up. The procedure will take approximately an hour to be performed.
Since the prick where the catheter is inserted into the vein is small, no stitches will be required to close the same. The site will be bandaged.
EVLT is considered very successful as well as safe and has excellent long term results.
Small prick made in the vein for the catheter to be inserted into the vein
The LASER fiber is passed through the vein
Advantages of Laser Treatment
- Less Painful than with vein ligation and stripping.
- Recovery time is less.
- Hospital stay is very less.
- Issues related to wound healing significantly reduced.
After Endovenous Laser Treatment
- An ice pack can be applied over the area to help reduce the swelling
- Take a sponge bath until the dressing is removed.
- Wear compression stockings for a few weeks.
- Keep the leg raised when sitting.
- It is advisable not to stand for long periods of time.
- 10 to 20 minutes of walking is advisable.
Keyhole Clinic, Kochi, has well experienced surgeons performing Laser Treatment for Varicose veins with excellent outcomes.